Sunday, March 31, 2013


Wow, what a crazy and amazing week this has been. On Wednesday, Beamer turned had a birthday. I cannot believe that my boy is now two years old! Where has the time gone? And, what an amazing two years it has been. He was a wonderful puppy and an even better companion to me. We have learned a lot from one another and he has gotten me involved in the world of dog showing and trials.

After a busy week from work, we had an even busier weekend. I had signed up for the trials in Boonsboro, Maryland, since a few people told me it was a great little show. I was very impressed with it! On Saturday, we were supposed to be entered in Rally Advanced A, but apparently I messed up my entry and didn't realize it. There was nothing we could do, so I just ran in the Rally Novice A that I had accidentally entered in. We ended up rocking the class with a 98 and 1st place. So, the day didn't get off to the best start, but that's alright. My dad and his wife came out to see me, which was really nice. Amy has been really supportive of coming out to see my dog trials. Dad went to get us some lunch while I anxiously awaited my Obedience trial later that afternoon, although they couldn't stay to watch it.

I had also entered Beamer in Novice A Obedience, something I kept debating with myself doing. I wasn't sure if he was ready or if I was ready for it. I knew he could do everything, it was just a matter of him focusing in the ring. We ended up doing really great that afternoon! Only two of the original five of us Q'd. Beamer was wonderful and I messed up a few things. I got to talk to the judge afterwards and he said I had a tight leash, I wasn't allowed to touch him for the down stay (and I was trying to position him so he wouldn't move... won't make that mistake again), and that I was moving when I gave the recall command. The feedback is always good since Obedience showing is something we are really new at and the rules are much stricter than rally.
But anyway, we got Second place with a score of 185! We met a very nice person with a black lab who beat us with a score of 187. They did great, though, and definitely deserved it! Beamer was very focused with me during the whole run on Saturday, I was so proud.

On Sunday, we basically had a repeat of what I entered. I was for sure in Rally Advanced A and we ran. Beamer did /mostly/ well. He was following me great and just a little distracted (more than yesterday but I think he was just warn out from he day before). But anyway, he has this problem where he baulks at jumps. He will get a good running start and then won't jump, I don't get it... I even practiced with him beforehand in the parking lot over some large logs to hopefully prep him for the jump. But even with that, he wouldn't. I thought that it was an automatic NQ (and I also thought you could try the jump again... apparently not) but I was shocked to see a score of 82 on the board! Wow, what a relief that we got our first leg towards our RA title! There was only one other team in my class (who got a 70) so we got first place today, too! Now, all I need to do is really work on Beamer's jumping which probably means making my own jumps at home and working with him more than an hour every week or so.

This afternoon, I was still pretty nervous about our upcoming Obedience trial. I knew that we could do it from the day before, but I also knew Beamer was not at his best today. There were 6 in our class today, only 3 Q'd. Our turn was pretty disastrous- his heeling was nothing like the day before (where his off leash heeling was better than on leash). Both were pretty bad- the leash was tight and he was dragging behind at times. On off leash, he was still lagging behind me. On the recall, he did not come front or listen to me when I signaled him to finish. He was distracted by something outside the ring. But other than that, he did well for the figure 8 and stand for exam. The sit and down stays were great for both days and the judge was awesome and Q'd us. I was almost certain after that heeling we had been NQ'd. We ended up getting 2nd in our class again with a score of 170.5 (note that 170 is passing! One team actually got 3rd place with 170, haha!)
Wow, so what a relief, two CD legs down... I can't believe it! Since I was so hesitant with entering him, anyway. I am a VERY PROUD MOMMA!!

This trial was great, to sum up! Separate buildings for both Rally and Obedience and Obedience had 2 rings to get things moving quicker. The judges were AMAZING!! The judge for Rally (both days) tried really hard to get me into the right class, but it was the AKC rules that made it so I couldn't move up. She was super nice to me and tried her best. The Obedience judges were also really cool. The one the first day talked to me about how to improve myself as did the one from the second day. And she was really generous to Q us that second day.

They also had prizes that some dogs got and some you had to sign up to be eligible for. Beamer got two prizes both days- Highest scoring golden retriever in 'A' and Youngest dog competing. We got a calendar, a golden retriever notebook, a cute pillow, and a golden retriever wooden box. Also, if you got a placement in Rally, you got a toy, AND if you got first you also got a bag with a few goodies in it, so we got two of those total as well.

I'm just going to wrap this up because I could go on forever about it! But, to sum up, my boy is amazing and I cannot imagine life without him. I am very very proud of all we have accomplished together! 

My dad, Beamer, and I

No comments:

Post a Comment